Morning comes with fog. 7:00 sail off anchor, light north wind and less fog. A half dozen tacks, gentle sailing, almost ghosting, out of the cove.
Rounding the northern tip of Spruce Island, I find Mark out rowing a skiff with his dog. He lives on Spruce Island four months of the year. He points to his Contessa sloop moored nearby, and we talk about sailing the Maine coast. We talk about my slow drift across the water, going fast versus going slow, the trade off between traditional cruising boats and high-tech designs. I tell him I am very comfortable with a traditional design, don't mind being a little bit slower. "If you are not out there for the aesthetics," he says, "why are you even sailing?" He invites me to stop by on next year's sail. As I head off to the east, Mark says "Your patience will be rewarded."
9:00 Pendleton Point, turn to the northeast, skies clearing but the fog seems to cling to the islands spread out across East Penobscot Bay. Wind fails, motorsailing.
9:45 Resolution Island off the port bow. 10:10 Resolution Island to port, Horsehead Island off starboard bow, Colthead and Beach Islands ahead.
Sun breaking through the overcast. All that water and not another boat in sight.
10:30 a touch of wind, making 1.6. As I look around, surrounded by ten islands sprinkled across the Bay. Lovely. Thinking of heading to Orcutt Harbor. 11:15 better wind, 3.0. 11:40 Hog Island to port, 4.1.
12:40 falling off to round Thrumcap Ledge and Thrumcap Island. This puts SPARTINA on course for Bucks Harbor just to the east of Orcutt Harbor. I've wondered about Bucks Harbor in the past, an interesting looking harbor with an island in the middle. Navioncis has notes about mooring fields and no room to anchor. Decide to head that way and see what it is like.
The wind carries us to the east side of Harbor Island, mooring fields spread out of the water with some beautiful and classic boats here and there. I slow tack through the mooring fields just to get a better look at the sailboats. Glancing to the right I see a yacht club up on the hill. At the dock below the yacht club there are three women and one is waving with both arms to get my attention. I sail that way to see it is Sarah, the artist who painted SPARTINA in Oriental and whom I had just met a couple of days ago in Camden. A small world, indeed.
Sarah tells me she lives nearby and has been a long-time member at the yacht club. Passing by other members as we walk up the hill, she seems to be related in some way or another to everyone there. She tells me there is a store nearby and she'll walk up there with me. She grabs a couple of items, I get a sandwich, salad and a cold drink.
Back at the yacht club, I talk with the harbor master, also related to Sarah, and she points me to a spot to anchor over on the west side of the harbor. I thank her, say goodbye to Sarah and cast off
Anchor down Bucks Harbor 2:20..
17.74 NM










No comments:
Post a Comment