Wednesday, November 25, 2015
The last of the snow birds are trickling down past mile marker "0" on the ICW these days. Warmer than usual with clear skies, it must be a wonderful time to sail south for Florida, the Bahamas or wherever.
From the bridge this afternoon I could see there are a couple of boats anchored for the evening in Craford Bay. I wonder if they will stay moored to celebrate the holiday. Maybe I will sail by them in the morning and wish them a Happy Thanksgiving. For a variety of reasons - travel, distance and work - Thanksgiving for us will be Saturday afternoon. In the meantime the sailing forecast can only be described as perfect for this time of year - mid-60s, clear skies and 8 to 10 mph of wind.
For those who have a better schedule than I, Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy the day. And I'll raise a toast to you on Saturday.
Monday, November 16, 2015
Saturday, November 14, 2015
Thursday, November 12, 2015
Rik, my sailing partner from last weekend, has gone sailing.
He left, aboard Isbjorn with the 59° North crew, yesterday morning. They appeared to have favorable winds yesterday and into last night and are now ESE of Cape Hatteras. Somehow I don't think Rik is wearing shorts, relaxing with his feet up and tending the tiller. I'm not an offshore sailor but I'm guessing a full set of foul weather gear and a harness, hanging on to anything that doesn't move. I'm sure it is a thrill.
Above is the tracking map for the Caribbean 1500 fleet. That boat out in the lead is Moonwave, an appropriate name as when I saw it at the marina the other day it looked more to me like a space ship than a sailboat. And it seems to move like a spaceship compared to the rest of the fleet.
Locally we have an excellent forecast for the next few days and I hope to get out on the water at least once or twice. It's that time of year when every day of nice weather needs to be savored.
Wednesday, November 11, 2015
St. Michaels. What can I say? Very disappointed that the MASCF was cancelled, but what can you do with strong winds, heavy rains, high tides and, oh yeah, a hurricane on the way. Three of us showed up for festival, myself and two marsh cat guys - Pete and Kevin, both regulars on the Chesapeake floats. By mid-afternoon on arrival day the event was cancelled. Pete hauled his marsh cat but Kevin kept his in the water for some afternoon sailing. Spartina was still in the water with the jeep and trailer 150 miles away in Cape Charles. And the storm was coming.
Spartina secured, I found a car service out of nearby Easton that can get me to Cape Charles then next day. Not cheap, but that's life. My wife had been offering to drive up from Chesapeake to get me, an eight hour round trip, and good friend Barry was checking to make sure I had a ride but no way was I going to have him spend 11 hours on the road to get me back to Cape Charles (Barry was plan "a" for getting back to Cape Charles in the pre-storm days, he was going to be there to enjoy the festival then drop me off in Cape Charles on his way home. Great plan, don't you think, if not for the storm.)
Kristen checks in a few more times in the afternoon, asking if I need any help. She finds me a dry spot to sleep, wishes me well and makes sure I have her phone number just in case I need anything else. I enjoy dinner down on South Talbot Street with Kevin who came in off the water after a breezy sail, an enjoyable dinner where we talked of small boats, sailing trips and friends we have in common.
The next day was the pricey car ride south (pricey, yes, but when I think of all the trips I've made with no significant expenses, the offers of free launching ramps, free docking and free storage for the jeep and trailer while I'm gone for a couple of weeks, well I still come out ahead in the long run). Dark clouds and rain, watching the hurricane on my phone headed for Hatteras and an email from the boss saying "how about heading to Hatteras." Back up to St. Michaels with the jeep and trailer, a quick thank you and goodbye to Kristen and then a couple of museum guys help me work Spartina out from between the other boats. I haul out Spartina and then unrig her in a pouring rain, then drive the four hours back home in even more rain. Spartina was back in the garage well after dark and all I could do was spread the sails out to dry because I had to start packing to head to Hatteras the next morning.
It was an interesting couple of days after a fun and challenging sail up the Bay. By the time I got back from Hatteras - the storm changed course and wind and waves were all that showed up in the Outer Banks - I could hardly remember the trip. So glad to have the note book, the log and photographs. It was a great trip. Now it's time to start thinking about spring.