Sunday, December 18, 2022

day twenty-five - geese never sleep


Cold, noisy night.  The cold I don't mind, in fact I enjoy it tucked into my 30 degree sleeping bag with a good set of thermals on.  I wake a few times in the night to the sound of geese.  It is a loud and angry honking that seems to go on all night.  Don't they ever sleep?

I wake to glassy calm water, brown and red leaves on the surface.  A mist hovers over the creek.  Heavy dew and not a breath of wind.  The geese, unseen by me, continue to argue.  Eagles cry from the trees on shore.  Drift off anchor 7:35 wearing the dry suit against the cold.  My fingers feel numb from handling the cold dew-soaked lines.  I use a small chemical hand warmers to get some feeling back.  Chocolate Sea Salt RXbar and tanka bar for breakfast.  At 7:50 the sun edges over the top of the trees.  The orange glow of the morning feels good.


Motoring at idle speed at 8:20 I round Millstone Point to have a look at Shipyard Creek.  Smaller than I expected and lined with homes, I am glad I anchored where I did.  I shut off the outboard and make a slow drift down the West Fork of Langford Creek, 0.4 kts.  I hear a series of gunshots.  Across the creek I see a hunter with decoys spread along the edge of the marsh.  


10:15 Cacaway Island, a little wind, 0.7 kts.   We motor sail to the East Fork.  Just before noon I set out the anchor in Philip Cove.  It is warmer now, I set up the boom tent to escape the sun.  I cook lunch, banana-peanut butter oatmeal, read, take a nap, a long deep relaxing nap.


Mid-afternoon a breeze arrives.  Light but steady, we make a slow pleasant sail down the East Fork.


The centerboard touches bottom as I navigate the narrow entrance in to Kings Creek, anchor down at 5:10.


8.38 NM

Fettuccini Alfredo with mushrooms.

 

No comments: