Wednesday, November 4, 2015

day ten - the blood moon, the fog, the squall

Calm and crystal clear over night, a bright light wakes me and I see the beginnings of the blood moon of a lunar eclipse.  I watch and enjoy, then drop the bivy over my head so I can get back to sleep.




A light fog settles on the creek at dawn.  Sailing off anchor at 7:30, a small boat works a trotline for crabs as we make 3.5 knots on to Cox Creek.  A quiet sail towards Turkey Point, a cormorant slapping the water with its wings as the bird takes flight.  Everything on Spartina is damp, dripping from the morning mist.




At Turkey Point we leave both the creek and the fog behind, clammers working in deadrises ahead of us on Eastern Bay.  At 10:30 we are in light airs tacking past tiny Parsons Island with its picturesque farm, making 2.7 knots under a light overcast.  The day is warming and I strip off my foul weather gear.





By noon the wind has failed and I power north towards Kent Narrows, reaching the bascule bridge 10 minutes ahead of the 1:30 lift already requested by a larger sailboat ahead of me.  The bridge opens and I motor through and tie up at Piney Narrows Yacht Haven to top off the fuel can and buy a couple of cold drinks. 

Motoring out of the narrows the wind picks up and I raise mizzen and jib to sail out to deep water, full sail up at 2:15 on the Chester River.  The skies clear but weather radio talks of afternoon thunderstorms and rain showers.  We sail on a close reach past Hail Point then fall off as the river curves to the north.  I can see rain showers to the north and east.




Near Piney Cove the wind falls off and the air is thick with humidity, water glassy calm.  A light sprinkle falls.



Looking for a new anchorage I pick out the Corsica River on the chart book, but ahead see a fast moving squall.  I turn towards a closer anchorage, Reed Creek, one that I had visited years ago.  They Corsica will have to wait.




Approaching the creek the outflow from the storm heels Spartina and we bound our way past Gordon Point into protected water.  The wind builds and a steady rain falls, then the storm slips away to the west.  

Cook dinner, clean the boat, write 26 nm in the log book.


3 comments:

S R Wood said...

Steve -- I dropped anchor in Reed Creek many years ago too, after a short sail from Chestertown. Just did the math: 24 years ago. Wow. The next morning saw a greasy breakfast of sausage and eggs, followed by wallowing across the Bay during an equally greasy calm, followed -- inevitably -- by seasickness. No more greasy breakfasts (at sea, at least) for me. Thanks for the photos and memories. I'd forgotten that deep, deep blue of a looming storm.
Seth

Steve said...

Reed Creek is a nice little anchorage. I do want to visit the Corsica River on the next trip. steve

Shawn Stanley said...

Steve,
Always enjoy your blog about your adventures. If you ever make it to the Western Shore (I know, not so many options as the Eastern Shore of MD), look us up in Solomons! We are always trying to cross the Chesapeake ourselves and get over there!!!

Shawn