Monday, April 1, 2024

day sixteen - glassy


Sunrise.  48 degrees.  Boom tent and side decks covered in dew.  Patches of fog on the river.  Windless.


Under power 7:20, following the St. Johns through downtown Jacksonville.  


8:00 out of downtown, the river turns south and opens up wide.  Water is like glass.  Motoring at just above idle, making 5.8 with the flood tide carrying us as much as the outboard.  


10:05 turn west towards Doctors Inlet.  10:20 pass under the bridge into the inlet, turn towards a marina.  There I meet the world's nicest dock hand.  He welcomes me, takes some photographs of SPARTINA, helps move us over to the fuel dock to top off the gas can.  I ask if there is a place I can get food nearby.  He tells me the only place is a convenience store and he'll be happy to give me a ride there in a golf cart.  I tell him thanks but I could use a good walk.


After a run to the store, cast off and motor southwest - still windless - to an anchorage marked Swimming Pen Creek.  Anchor down in the well-protected cove 12:15.


Set up the boom tent to get out of the sun.  The Italian sub from the convenience store turns out to be excellent.  I add a drizzle of olive oil to the bread and enjoy a nice lunch with chips and a bottled iced tea.  Nap, catch up on the log.  Set up the sleeping gear.


19.86 NM
 

No comments: