Monday, October 26, 2020

day six - small craft advisory


I wake to the sound of wind.  I can't feel it, tucked in the tiny basin, but I can hear it.  Weather radio tells me there is a small craft advisory in effect.  I tuck in a single reef.  


Sail off anchor at 7:05.  It is a cool morning and knowing it will be a rough sail I've got my foul weather gear on.  Outside of the cove making 4.0.  Then 5.2 out on the Honga River.  By 7:40 I'm fighting the tiller so I bring down the mizzen.  The jib and single-reefed main are plenty for a downwind sail.  Hooper Strait marker in sight.  Chilly.  The wind drops a little, mizzen back up at 8:05 just before entering the strait, 4.4.  It is a rough crossing with confused water.  To simplify things I bring the mizzen back down.  


Sailing down the east side of Bloodsworth Island I begin to get big waves on the port quarter, the fetch running for miles down Fishing Bay and the Nanticoke River.  I round up and raise the mizzen and bring down the main.  The waves are constant and it is a rough ride.  I think of my friend Curt who says "it is called a small craft warning and your boat is a small craft."  I wonder about the waves getting bigger farther south on the sound where there are few places to seek shelter.  


At the southern tip of Bloodsworth Island I fall off to the south into Holland Strait, the water calming quickly, bring the mizzen down and sail under jib only.  We cross above South Marsh Island past Johnson Cove then follow the shoreline into Pry Cove.  Mizzen back up to sail across the wind up into the cove.  Sailing close to the green marsh grass an egret takes flight.  

Anchor down at 10:20 under terrific gusts of wind.    


Excellent protection in a little cove.  Time for brunch: biscuits and gravy with sausage crumbles.


I lean back in the cockpit and take a long nap.  The sun feels good.


It is a day of rest and relaxation.  I read a book and listen to some football on the radio.



14.52 NM for the day.




 

2 comments:

Tom said...

Great trip report, as always! I watched your track on SPOT every step of the way on this day, with great trepidation - one eye on your track, the other on the weather maps online. I'll admit an inward sigh of relief as I saw your track turn into Holland Straight, knowing you were going for a "hidey hole" in the marshes. Tangier Sound is no place to be in a blow.

Steve said...

Thanks, Tom. I think I made the right call. No reason to push it too far. And honestly, a day and a half tucked in that little cove was pretty relaxing.