Sunday, May 21, 2017

the track, sheer joy

Above is the gps track from the spring sail, 240 miles of wonderful sailing.  And below is a photograph of joy, Webb somewhere on the Caribbean.  He has posted his St. Lucia to Marathon sailing log here.

Saturday, May 20, 2017


Back home after a great trip.  Rock Hole Bay, Ocracoke, the marshes behind Cedar Island, Bath, Washington and a couple of other nice anchorages, it was a very relaxing week.  Up most days and sailing by 6:00 or soon after, I spent about eight or nine hours each day sailing.  Dinner, clean up and reading, I was ready to go to sleep as the sun went down.  I haven't looked at the log yet but believe we averaged about 35 miles a day.  Light winds one morning and one afternoon, but other than that, plenty of wind.  And not a drop of rain.  First time in three years I have sailed NC without a tropical storm hovering about.  

Photos are from this morning, leaving Ditch Creek for the brief sail up Jones Bay to Hobucken, top, and on the narrow creek leading to Pate Boat Yard, looking up to wend our way through the trees leaning in over the ditch.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Washington NC

Sailing through the old train trestle to the Washington waterfront.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

this morning

Leaving out of Turnagain Bay at dawn. Reached Bath this evening.

Monday, May 15, 2017

Monday moring

Very windy overnight and this morning. Will wait an hour or two for 
the winds to drop to a forecast 10-15.

Friday, May 12, 2017

sushi tonight, sashay tomorrow

Went over the watertribe gear list, everything there.  Everything stowed and this afternoon stashed in the back of the jeep or in the boat.  Nice dinner tonight, heading south tomorrow.

Current forecast has me thinking about heading over to Ocracoke early in the trip,  then south to Cedar Island and Core Sound, cutting across the Thorofare and Old Canals to the Neuse and maybe Oriental.  But we will see which way the wind is blowing.  Here's the tracking url....

Thursday, May 11, 2017

spot tracking url

Hope to be on the water late Saturday morning.  Forecast: a little rainy on the first day, then sunny for the next few.

Spot tracking url is below or just click here.

Tuesday, May 9, 2017

a different kind of wind

Looking at the forecast, which I don't completely trust since we are still a few days out, but things are looking pretty good as of now.  Maybe a little rainy on launch day then sunshine for at least a few days after that.

What is a little unusual is the direction of the wind.  For three or four days it will be out of the W, WNW or NW.  Typically I've dealt with SW, N or NE winds.  With the forecast, which will certainly be changing up until launch day, I've been thinking about the route I might take.  Ocracoke, Wysocking Bay, Caffee Bay, Belhaven, Bath and Washington all still not the list.  Maybe Oriental too.  We'll see.  

The photograph is from a few years ago setting off from Bluff Point to Ocracoke just after dawn with a steady SW wind.

Monday, May 8, 2017

sanded, varnished

Schooner Virginia's blocks, sanded, varnished 
and waiting for uprigging

Sunday, May 7, 2017

packing / Mona Passage

The spring sail is still a week away but with a busy work schedule I am doing most of the packing now.  All the gear is in good shape (some of it has been in use for nearly a decade now) but I've been replacing batteries, clearing gps tracks and updating my spot profile to show sailing on Pamlico Sound.

Food and water is all set.  I think the only thing I need to buy is a backup anchor light as my old one gave out last fall.  As for launching, Shawn has sold Pate Boat Yard but he was kind enough to put me in touch with the new owner who quickly agreed to allow me to use the ramp and leave my jeep/trailer on the property.  They did ask that I sign a liability waiver which I was happy to do.  Though Shawn is no longer the owner I do hope to see him down there.


Webb has passed through the Mona Passage between Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic with what appears to be excellent conditions.  His journal says he plans to turn west and then north west, sailing north of Cuba in the Old Bahama Channel.

Wednesday, May 3, 2017


I finally pony'd up the $14.95 for southern Atlantic coast - Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida - charts for my iSailor app.  That's beyond an incredibly cheap price when you consider a single NOAA paper chart can cost from $12 to $18.

Certainly won't be using it for navigation but it would work as a backup in case of gps problems.  I thought it would be nice to have to do screen shots of anchorage while there, plus evening research as I'm thinking about the next day's sail.  The screen shots here, from top to bottom, show Mouse Harbor, Ocracoke and Wysocking Bay, all places I might be visiting in about two weeks.

I've started with the packing - fishing gear last night, clothes tonight.  The majority of gear checking/stowing will be this weekend.  Can't wait.