"When I think of all the fools I've been it's a wonder that I've sailed this many miles." -Guy Clark

Tuesday, November 17, 2020

day twenty-one - into St. Michaels

I wake to find leaves from the trees sprinkled across the cove.  Unexpected rain overnight and even a bit of a squall in the early morning hours.  Sail off anchor 7:00 in a light passing rain.  Making 1.8 leaving Drum Point, a deadrise across the Wye River working a trotline.  Out on the Wye 5.0 with a spectacular sunrise breaking through low grey clouds.  On the Miles River 7:35, 5.1 with wind and waves on the stern as we head south to St. Michaels.

A fast sail on the Miles.  Very choppy water off Deepwater Point, SPARTINA bouncing up and down.  Maybe wind against tide.  Turning to the west behind the point and the water calms.  

Sails down 8:25, dock at Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum's docks at 8:45.

6.12 NM

First order of business:  breakfast.  I head to the Blue Crab for a glass of tea and one other excellent breakfast sandwiches.  I find they are closed due to a recent positive test.  Instead I go to a new spot on North Talbot Street and enjoy a glass of ice tea at a sidewalk table, catching up on news and emails.

I've got chores to do:  charge batteries, clean the boat, open up vacuum-packed bags of food supplies - breakfast bars, cans of tuna, buffalo bars - for the rest of the trip.  I wonder around the museum which is a beehive of activity.  The new Maryland tall ship replica DOVE is under construction.  Several of the museum's floating fleet are out of the water for maintenance.  A great new exhibit of Chesapeake Bay photographs is opening.  Just a lot going on there.

Mid-afternoon, while I'm filling out my log, Kristen drops by and we sit socially distanced in the shade for a visit.  We had just talked on MAGDALENA a couple days earlier on Queenstown Creek but still had a lot of catching up to do.

Late afternoon set up the boom tent and spread out the sleeping gear for the night.

St. Michaels Crab and Steak House for a crab cake dinner, then back to SPARTINA for a good night's sleep.


No comments: