"When I think of all the fools I've been it's a wonder that I've sailed this many miles." -Guy Clark

Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Jonesport to Rockport, and the islands in between


I've got about a week before heading north to Maine.  Twenty hours on the road.  That's a lot of driving for me but well worth it.


Maine.  Cool, dry air.  Long days.  Crisp nights.  There is something about the light, it is just different up there.  Above is dawn in Maine,  just off Eggemoggin Reach.  


This is last year's track, twenty days of sailing.  This year I've got thirty days to explore.  The sailing area will be from Rockport to the west and Jonesport to the east (see the map at the top).  I just heard yesterday that the coast from the Schoodic Peninsula east to Jonesport is known as the Bold Coast.   Rocky shorelines, cliffs separated by rivers, not many towns, lots of islands.  Sounds interesting.  


This is Pumpkin Island at the northwest end of Eggemoggin Reach.  I look forward to passing by there again.


And I've become intrigued by Roque Island, which is just a bit east of Jonesport.  Jonesport itself is worth visiting, a small town with a public dock and two blocks away is a variety store/gas station/deli.  Sounds like a good place to resupply.  And if I make it there, Roque Island is just around the corner.


Look at the anchorages and beaches at Roque Island.  Why does it make me think of Treasure Island and young Jim Hawkins?  How could I not go there?

As always, the sail is at the mercy of the weather.  We'll see where the winds carry SPARTINA.

----------------------------------------

Some good news arrived by email yesterday.  SPARTINA received her invitation to take part in the SULTANA Downrigging Festival in early November.  Maine in August, Chesapeake Bay in October, Downrigging Festival in November.  Life is good!

4 comments:

Tom said...

Steve: Beware of the private property restrictions on Roque Island and Great Beach. IIRC, the owners would like you to stay out of the bight to the extreme left of the beach (South) and not go inland at all. Once again, I'm going to leave you with a recommendation for Marshall Island, SSE of Swan's. Lovely Beach, protected harbor (on the East side, by the Conservancy Pier), and exquisite trails. It belongs to the Nature Conservancy, and is the largest completely undeveloped island on the East Coast. Hardly anyone hikes the trails, so it's like walking on a moss carpet through Wonderland!

Steve said...

Thanks, Tom. We'll take a look! Steve

Shawn Stanley said...

Steve, Have a great trip. we look forward to reading about your adventures!

Steve said...

Thanks! I can't wait. Steve