"When I think of all the fools I've been it's a wonder that I've sailed this many miles." -Guy Clark

Sunday, September 22, 2024

day twenty-four - a message from a friend


Cast off from Rockport 7:20, sails up in a light north wind 7:35.  


8:15 Beauchamp Point, no wind.  Under power.  Glassy water, heading southeast at idle power.  


Wind comes and goes.  9:35 sailing in a light breeze.  10:30 tack to the south and then east.  12:25 approaching Fox Island Thorofare find a strong cross current near Fiddlers Ledge.  Strong enough that I need to power through it.  


Into Fox Island Thorofare as the wind continues to build.  1:00 making 3.6 with Vinalhaven to starboard.  The windjammer AMERICAN EAGLE comes up from the stern, I move just outside of the marked channel to give them plenty of room.


Tie up at the North Haven Yacht club, read the signs but can't quite tell if I am welcome or not.  The nearby town dock is full.  Finally find someone who says I can tie up at the club for a short visit.  Walk through the little village.  It is hot, not many people around.  The restaurant there seems to be closing.  A grocery store has some nice sandwiches but I can't find a clerk so don't get any.  


2:20 cast off and sail southeast on the thorofare.  Just past Hopkins Point, look into a creek and see it filled with boats at mooring.  Drop main and jib, motor through the anchorage.  See a couple guys on a boat, ask them who controls the mooring balls.  "No one," they tell me.  I motor around until I find one with no name on it, tie up at 3:10.  It is hot, I'm tired and the sun is getting to me.  Quickly set the boom tent to get some shake.  


Check my phone to see friend Matt is in the area.  Try to call and text but the cell signal is weak or non-existent.  


Finally get a call through.  He and sailing friend Joe are on Joe's 18' catboat.  And they aren't too far away, anchored on Seal Harbor right where I rode out a storm last year.  Think of heading that way but I'm fried.   Will have to see if I can catch them tomorrow.


16.09 NM



 

No comments: