"When I think of all the fools I've been it's a wonder that I've sailed this many miles." -Guy Clark

Sunday, September 15, 2024

day six - resupply and Roque Island


Torrential rains overnight, lightning and thunder.  Rain seemed to go on forever.  Tucked away in Mud Hole I did not feel any wind.  Slept a little later than usual.  Pleased to find the boat dry under the boom tent after all that rain.  Hot tea with breakfast on the cool, overcast morning.


Under power at 7:50 out of the Mud Hole.  Catch some seaweed or maybe a rock on the rudder as it kicks up.  Reset and keep going.  


8:05 out of the Mud Hole and turn north, keeping Great Wass Island to port.


8:50 pick out the markers for Pig Island Gut.  It is low tide and the cut is lined port and starboard with rocks.  8:35 Alley Island to port, with docks standing tall alongshore at the low tide.  


Leaving the gut, we pass through the fleet of moored lobster boats then cross Moosabec Reach into Jonesport.


Tied up Jonesport at 9:05, the dock being marked as a three-hour dock.  Plenty of time for what I need to do.  I walk the couple of blocks to the convenience store, get bottled water, some bottled tea and cookies.  I ask if I can leave a small battery there to charge for a while and they kindly plug it into a power bar behind the cash register.  Back to SPARTINA to get rid of trash, spread some gear out to dry.  Al, a friend of Chesapeake Bay friends Fred and MaryLou, comes by to say hello.  He asks about what I need, maybe a ride to the grocery.  I tell him I am fine, the dock and convenience store are all I need.  We talk about sailing Maine and small boats.  He is a nice guy and I enjoy meeting him.

Back to the convenience store for lunch, a BLT, chips and a drink.  Grab the charge battery, thank the store owner for his hospitality and head back to the boat.  


Cast off at noon, motoring east on the reach, and struggle with light winds across Chandler Bay to the Thorofare between Roque and Great Spruce Islands.  


I follow the deep water path between pine trees, a lobster boat just behind me working a string of pots on the Thorofate.  


2:45 out of the Thorofare into Roque Harbor, the wind filling in nicely for some nice afternoon tacks across the harbor.


Anchor down just off the white sandy beach at 3:45.


 11.09 NM

No comments: