"When I think of all the fools I've been it's a wonder that I've sailed this many miles." -Guy Clark

Sunday, September 22, 2024

day twenty-three - Rockport


Sail off anchor 6:35.   A quiet sail through the anchorage in Cradle Cove.  Making 2.6 rounding the point into Gilkey Harbor.  Windless off Minot Island.  Under power.  


8:00 sails slatting in rolling waves.  Bring down the main and the jib.


Docked 10:00 in Rockport.  Tied up at a section marked "Loading Only" but it is a quiet morning and the young man at the dock master office says it is ok to leave SPARTINA there for a while.  


I walk up a hill for an iced tea and a muffin.  By the time I'm back, a classic wooden boat is leaving the dock and I'm told I can move there for the night.


It's the usual routine for a port call.  Get rid of the trash, top off water and fuel.  A walk to the grocery store, about a mile walk, for some supplies.  There's an outdoor store on the way so I stop to pick up a fuel canister for the JetBoil.


An enjoyable walk through town.  Lunch overlooking the harbor.  A visit to the library for some high speed wifi. 


And dinner, oysters on a porch overlooking the harbor.  Rockport marks the western-most point of the sail, time to start working my way back east.


 10.67 NM

No comments: