"When I think of all the fools I've been it's a wonder that I've sailed this many miles." -Guy Clark

Tuesday, September 17, 2024

day fourteen - sunrise, quarry and a haddock sandwich


Early morning, wake to the diesels of lobster boats as they head down Deer Island Thorofare in the predawn darkness.  A calm, windless morning, and a spectacular sunrise through the haze.


8:00 raise the sail without much reason, motor away from the moored boats and begin a slow drift in a non-existant breeze.  I look back at Camp Island to see a deer swim across from tiny Coot Island, climb out of the water and disappear into the trees.  

Motor over the the tall ship, the LEWIS R FRENCH, to say hello.  The passengers and crew seem to be wrapping up an enjoyable breakfast.  They are out for a four-day sail, heading back to Camden tomorrow.  SPARTINA drifts away with the tide, seals surfacing, rolling and disappearing into the glassy water.


A breeze arrives, we sail past Potato and Sprouts Islands.  At Green Island, the site of an old quarry, I see a couple of ladders on a wall of granite blocks.  Tied up, I take a walk through the pine trees, up to the old quarry that seems to be a popular swimming hole.


10:15, full sail in a nice breeze.  Maybe it is about time for a nice lunch.


We sail towards Stonington, a dog on a little unnamed island not too happy with our presence.


Sails down just the other side of the thorofare, we tie up in Stonington at the town dock 11:30.  


A fried haddock sandwich on the waterfront, a walk through the town and a glass of iced tea - that comes with wifi access - at the local coffee shop.  Full sail 1:50 with excellent wind.


We head towards the anchorage at Merchant Island, tacking into a southwest breeze.  2:25 making 4.4.  2:45 I misjudge the running current and hook a lobster float.  Nearing Merchant Island I see there are already a couple boats in the anchorage, turn toward Round Island, and hook a second lobster pot.


Thunder rumbles in the distance.  Approaching the water between Round and McGlathery Island I see there are already four boats anchored there.  But plenty of space and I can head up into much shallower water.  Anchor down 3:55.  More thunder, then a light rain.  And the storm slides by to the north.


 10.33 NM

1 comment:

Brennen said...

Just came upon your wonderful adventure! Surprised to find it right-up to date! I don't sail, I've been on a few boats- it is a nice moment, to be sure. I think of you sleeping right now, as I get ready to hit it on the west coast. I love your straight-forward and detailed description. Reminds me of Steinbeck. I feel like I'm there. Well done, and thank you. Brennen Redeker