"When I think of all the fools I've been it's a wonder that I've sailed this many miles." -Guy Clark

Monday, September 16, 2024

day 9 - voices in the mist


Thunder some time in the night.  I look outside the boom tent, clear skies.  I wake to light rain tapping on the tent.  Then a steady drizzle.  


Up at 6:00.  Slip on the drysuit and zip up the bivy to keep all the bedding inside dry.  There is going to be a lot of moisture in the air.  Hot chocolate with breakfast and a good book for company.


8:45 I hear voices.  Looking out the boom tent I see a small dinghy and the people on board are looking at the mooring balls.


They row through the mist to SPARTINA.  It is Jamie and Matt, out of Belfast for a week-long sail.  I tell them I was surprised to hear their voices and then see them, there isn't another boat in sight.  They say they are equally surprised to see someone on the little green yawl.  They are anchored just outside the Mud Hole and wanted to take a look at the anchorage before coming in.  We exchange contacts, and they row off in the rain.


I get a text from Jamie.  Very nice of them to reach out to me.  

10:00 a few drops of water on the page as I read my book.  Noisy wind and rain outside the boom tent.   I shift a little bit in the boom tent, take a nap, catch up on the log book. 


1:30 I hear the diesel of Matt and Jamie's boat at they come into the anchorage, a brief wave across the water as they set their anchor nearby.  


And a note to check on me.  I tell them I am doing fine.

Late afternoon weather radar says the rain is gone for now.  More coming this evening and overnight.




 

No comments: