"When I think of all the fools I've been it's a wonder that I've sailed this many miles." -Guy Clark

Thursday, September 12, 2024

day one - coming or going?


The woman in the office recognizes me from last year. "Are you coming or going?" she asks.  "Coming," I tell her, just arriving after 1047 miles on the road.  I pay for the car/trailer stowage, leave her my phone number and car keys.  "I'll be back late August, maybe early September."  She wishes me a good trip.


I would like to clean up the boat from the highway miles, but the tide is falling and I need to launch SPARTINA before the tide gets too low.  Rig quickly and load the supplies and gear.  Back down the ramp and tie up to the new floating pier that replaces the old pier that was destroyed by last January's storms.  12:55 cast off, sails up in Herrick Bay 1:00.  Light wind, making 2.8 over the pretty blue green water.  


The morning's light fog is gone, overcast building up to the north.  1:20 better wind, 4.6 tacking into the wind.  A few lobster boats working their pots, a single sailboat to the east.  Light rain, slip on foul weather gear.  Darker skies now, the light catching the Blue Hill Lighthouse, Mount Desert towering in the background.  


The wind fails, Mount Desert disappears in the clouds, then emerges again.


Wind arrives as the clouds move on.  The wind swings to the north briefly, then back to the southwest.  Making 3.8 rounding the top of Pond Island.  2:50 4.4 on the calm water in the lee of Opechee and Sheep Islands.


3:10 near Eagle Island begin a series of tacks into the anchorage.  Wind goes away then returns, making 2.8 as the seals bellow from the little rock east of Eagle Island.  Wind builds and just wonderful sailing between Sheep and Eagle Islands to the north and Black Island to the south.  3:55 anchor down between Opecche and Black Islands. 


 8.46 NM

No comments: