"When I think of all the fools I've been it's a wonder that I've sailed this many miles." -Guy Clark

Tuesday, September 24, 2024

day twenty-seven - fog, a friend and a favorite cove


Morning comes with a thick fog.  After breakfast I hear a voice calling "hello, Virginia."  Looking out the boom tent I see Dave from the neighboring boat COOKIE.  He had taken his dog for a walk on shore, came by to say hello.  We talk about the fog, sailing Maine and anchorages.  He also warns me about high winds in the afternoon.  Later I check the forecast and see nothing that concerns me. 


10:00 fog begins to lift in the anchorage, but still see thick fog out on the open water and can also hear the fog horn from the Swans Island ferry.  10:40 sail off anchor, making a couple of tacks on the anchorage while waiting for the last of the fog to clear.  

Just as I turn to head north I see a woman waving from a sailboat anchored farther out.  I sail by the boat, BAKHITA, and the woman tells me that they saw about exactly like mine anchored at Roque Island a couple weeks earlier.  I tell her that was me.  I visit with her and her husband for a few minutes, then turn north toward Seal Cove.  A few minutes later I receive a text with a nice photograph from BAKHITA.  How nice!


11:30 sailing on Casco Passage, 3.2.  Lighter winds after noon and motor sailing.  More wind and making 1.6 sailing between Bar and Trumpet Islands.


2:45 sail into the mooring field at Seal Cove looking for Bruce's Friendship Sloop LOON, thinking I might take a photograph and send it to him.


I find LOON, take a few photographs, then notice the dinghy tied to the stern.  


I call out for Bruce and his head pops out the companionway, a bit surprised to hear someone calling him.  It takes a moment to recognize me.  I tie up alongside and he gives me the tour of LOON, showing me some working his is doing on the diesel.  We talk his recent sailing and my trip, comparing notes on places we've visited.  


Cast off 3:20.  I sail out around Moosehead, then turn north on a downwind run.  


4:00 making 2.3 east of Hardwood Island.  4:50 better wind and doing 3.5 past Folly and tiny John Island.  


4:50 round Ledges Point on Bartlett Island, then follow the shoreline to Galley Cove, a favorite anchorage from last year's trip.  Anchor down 5:30.


 14.04 NM

No comments: