"When I think of all the fools I've been it's a wonder that I've sailed this many miles." -Guy Clark

Friday, September 27, 2024

day thirty-two - "would you like some coffee?


Some rain overnight, not too much.  Wake at 5:40, a little overcast and gusty.  I can see fog outside of the anchorage.  Having breakfast, I can hear someone paddling nearby.  I look out the boom tent to see a man on a paddle board.  He is surprised to see me.  He was coming over to look at the boat but had not expected to see anyone on board.  We visit for a minute, then his wife arrives on a kayak.  They are out for their morning paddle.  Their home is back in the woods on the point and they paddle most mornings.  "Would you like some coffee?" the man asks.  I have to laugh, I've never been asked that before.  I thank him but say no.


8:35 sail off the mooring, wearing a sweater and drysuit.  Cool and gusty, I wonder if things will get wet.  Making 4.1 out past the little island at the opening of the anchorage.  8:50 tuck in a reef.  As I tie the reef points I wonder if this is the first time I have reefed in 32 days of sailing.  I just can't remember.  9:25 tie in the second reef.


9:25 rounding the point on the southeastern corner of Stinson Neck I cut inside a couple of rocks, fall off downwind.  There are plenty of lobster pot floats there, telling me there should be plenty of water.  I soon hear a clank as the centerboard hits a rock, then the rudder pops up.  I reset the the rudder, check the GPS to see there are in fact two rocks in the little patch of water.  I had just found one, the other one is just ahead.   I quickly jibe to avoid the second.

10:20 downwind wing and wing.  10:30 shake out second reef while crossing Eggemoggin Reach.  


12:30 round the lighthouse on Green Island, plenty of wind and the water is a little choppy.  Jibe and turn to the northwest.  


It is an easy run in calm water.  Still good wind but less gusty.


At Harriman Point round up to shake out the first reef.  Full sail.


My last full day on the water, and I enjoy a just a few more tacks crossing back and forth across Allen Cove.  Anchor down 1:30 Allen Cove just as the skies begin to clear.  


15.49 NM



 

No comments: