"When I think of all the fools I've been it's a wonder that I've sailed this many miles." -Guy Clark

Wednesday, September 18, 2024

day fifteen - light winds and opposing tides


Cool, grey morning, feels like it could rain.  8:15 sail off anchor wearing a drysuit against the chill.  Making a gentle 1.4 out of the anchorage on glassy water.  8:55 around the corner of Round Island, open water and doing 2.5.


9:20 steady 2.4 with Merchant Island to starboard.  Then more wind, 3.4.  Surprised to see on the chart that the cut between Merchant and Narrow Island is much more narrow than it looks.  Make a quick turn between the rocks, 9:30 through the cut.  10:00 doing 1.9 inside of Flake Island.  


10:25 main and jib down, under power in the water between Isle au Haut to port and Kimball Island to starboard.  Looking for the town dock.


I see the General Store to port and Navionics tells me the town dock is not too far away.  Tying up I miss the red paint on the dock which shows one area with 30 minute docking, the other reserved for the mail boat.  A local points this out to me and says the mail boat is coming.  I slide SPARTINA back and thank the gentleman.  


A quick walk up to the store for supplies, then grab a sandwich, salad and tea to go from the young lady with the trailer next to the store.


I anchor in the shallows under Point Lookout for lunch, an unexpected treat.


12:00 full sail out from behind Flake Island, 12:30 making 1.2 dead downwind toward Vinalhaven.  2:15 motorsailing a mile off the eastern entrance to Fox Island Thorofare between Vinalhaven to the south and North Haven to the north.   The sun trying to break through the overcast.


2:50 and good wind, tacking downwind on the Thorofare.  3:10 less wind and motor sailing against the current past the little town of North Haven.  


The lighthouse at Browns Point tells me I am leaving Fox Island Thorofare but I struggle through the choppy water with an opposing tide inside of Stand-in Point.

Motorsailing to get through the rough water, relieved to get behind Dogfish Island and turn downwind into Crockett Cove.  

Anchor down 5:20.  Some nice folks out for a sail on a beautiful sloop come alongside to say hello.  


21.75 NM



 

No comments: