"When I think of all the fools I've been it's a wonder that I've sailed this many miles." -Guy Clark

Thursday, September 26, 2024

day thirty-one - wandering through the islands


Up at 6:00, clear and calm with a light north wind.  I am uncertain of my destination for the day.  The trip is almost over, in fact I could be back at the ramp before noon if I wanted.  But I have a couple of days before I have to haul out.  So I will explore.


Under power at 7:20, I pause for a few moments to look at ANNIE, a Fenwick Williams yawl that I read about in a sailing magazine years ago and remember to this day.  What a wonderful boat.  

I would like to offload some trash so motor over to the town dock. A man is standing there looking at the boats in the harbor.  He says hello as I tie up.  I ask if there is a trash dumpster up in the parking lot.  "No," he says, "there used to be one but they got rid of it.  All it did was attract trash," he says with a smile.  "So they got rid of it, now no trash."  I thank him for saving me from a walk.  "Why, do you have some trash?  Just give it me, I'll take care of it."  How nice.  I give him two gallon bags of trash and thank him.


Chilly morning, low broken cloud cover.  Sails up 7:50 on Eggemoggin Reach, making 3.4.  8:55 passing Center Harbor.  9:40 less wind near Babson and Little Babson Islands, 2.3.


10:15 sailing off the pier at the Wooden Boat School.  I tack back and for to admire some of the fleet of boats moored nearby, products of the boat building program I am guessing.


There is also a young couple on the modified Sea Pearl SHANTI.  They tell me they have sailed her up from Florida.


We cross the reach and sail between Conary and White Islands, tacking back east past Greenlaw Cove, wind building and making 4.8 but it doesn't feel like it.  We round Crow Island and begin tacking south around Stinson Neck.  Find two currents colliding, rough and unruly waters for a while.  Past Stinson Neck fall off the wind into Southeast Harbor.  


It is a downwind run at 3.1 until the wind suddenly swings to the southwest and becomes very gusty.  We round up and look at going into the Inner Harbor, which is to the south. It doesn't appeal to me.  I look west and see Osprey Point and little unnamed island providing some good protection from the wind.

Sails down, I motor around the rock to find several empty moorings.  I see a man working on his sailboat at a mooring and ask him if those are private moorings.  He says yes, they are all private, though many of them are never even used.  I thank him for the information and turn away to find an anchorage.  He calls me back, tells me the next mooring over is also his, and I am welcome to use it for the night.  I thank him.  Tied to the mooring at 1:50.


19.89 NM




 

No comments: