"When I think of all the fools I've been it's a wonder that I've sailed this many miles." -Guy Clark

Friday, September 27, 2024

day thirty-three - back to the ramp


A bouncy sleep as the wind swings around to the north in the early morning hours.  Cool and crisp at dawn.  Sail off anchor 7:10.


7:30 round Harriman Point, turn downwind.  I could sail directly to Green Island but instead sail out and around Tinker and Bar Islands.  With great wind, why not?  


9:00, just past Bar Island, turn west toward Green Island.  Wind on the beam, 4.4.


9:30 sail just below Green Island with the little lighthouse.


Perfect weather  to end the cruise, sailing close hauled under bright blue skies.


Begin making a series of tacks between Green Island to the east and Naskeag Point to the west.  


The wind is building as we tack into Herrick Bay.  If I were sailing any farther I would round up and tuck in a reef, maybe both reefs.  Instead I round up and bring down the sails.  Docked 10:40.  The summer cruise is done.


 12.44 NM

2 comments:

Rich D. said...

Thanks for taking me along with you Steve! So many great pictures. I am currently reading a book about Maine lobster boats and their builders so this was very timely.

Steve said...

Thanks for following along! Steve