"When I think of all the fools I've been it's a wonder that I've sailed this many miles." -Guy Clark

Thursday, September 26, 2024

day thirty - Eggemoggin Reach



Stillness in the early morning.  Cold, mid 40s, and clear.  Oatmeal and hot chocolate for a leisurely breakfast.  Sail off anchor with hardly a hint of wind.  


Decent breeze at 9:30, 2.4.  10:35 rounding Pickering and Easton Islands.  10:55 wing and wing with Easton Island to port.


11:30 cutting through the shallows that separates Scott Island into two islets, dodging the big rock along the way.  I think I have enough water but still raise the cb and rudder a bit just to make sure.


11:45 more wind, 3.7 to Birch Island.  At noon inside Birch Island.  There's a woman on the porch of her waterfront home and I can hear her singing.


Pass by Pumpkin Island, saying hello to a group of kayakers coming out of the little harbor at Eggemoggin.  12:35 in Eggemoggin Reach, the chilly wind coming right up the reach.


Tacking at 3.3, long tacks using the full width of the reach and then shorter tacks where the waterway narrows at the bridge.  


Under the bridge at 2:00, and lighter wind at 2:30.  The wind fills in again the last two tacks.  It takes me a moment to pick out the Benjamin River, then an easy sail with wind on the beam up the river past the spit on the starboard side.

The basin is filled with boats at their moorings, classic boats that make it feel like I am sailing through a boat museum.  Anchor down just east of the moorings at 3:50.


 19.01 NM

No comments: