"When I think of all the fools I've been it's a wonder that I've sailed this many miles." -Guy Clark

Tuesday, September 24, 2024

day twenty-eight - they almost had me at "margaritas"


Morning forecast says a front is arriving early afternoon, rain in the morning and strong north winds after 12:00.  Maybe this is what Dave was warning me about yesterday.  I check Navionics to see there is a spot just a couple miles away that will give me good protection.


Sail off anchor in a light rain.  Wearing the drysuit with expectations of heavier rain.  2.8 leaving Galley Cove.  

7:15 out on open water with a downwind run to the northeast.  Heavy, steady rain.  7:25 round High Head, now in the lee of the cliffs and trees. 8:10 anchor down inside of Green Island.  Excellent protection from all directions.


What I don't realize is that I have anchored in the middle of a family reunion.  A man named Chris comes out in a small skiff from the island, greets me and asks the question I am routinely asked when in a small boat in the rain:  "Are you ok?"  I tell him I am doing just fine, in fact I am having the time of my life.

He tells me that an extended family owns homes on both the island and the mainland, and they are having a family gathering.  I can expect people coming and going across the water all day long.  And then he asks if there is anything I need.  I tell him a gallon of water would be nice, and give him an empty jug.  

A while later a woman rows out from the island.  She says hello, and then of course "Are you ok?"  I laugh, tell her I am doing fine.  


People come and go all day, young people, older folks, even a young woman swimming back and forth from the island to the mainland.  Kayaks, Boston Whalers and row boats.  Chris comes back early afternoon and drops off the full jug of water.  I thank him.  

Skies have cleared, and the wind has filled in but it is calm tucked in behind the island.  I've got the boat dry and organized.  I read, relax and take a nap.  Put on a fresh set of clothes.

Late afternoon Chris comes out on the pier, asks how I am doing.  He tells me I am welcome to join them for dinner.  I thank him, but tell him I've got to catch up on my logbook.  "And we're having margaritas too!"  I hesitate, think for a moment, then say thank you, but no.  He wishes me a good evening. 

After dark I hear laughter and singing.  I think I hear a piano, I definitely hear guitars.  And a wonderful bluesy voice of a young woman.  It sounded like a fine family reunion.


 2.04 NM

No comments: