Monday, March 18, 2013


Doing a little work on the gaff jaws this week, making adjustments so that I can attach the throat grommet of the main closer to the mast.  I peeled off the leather from the jaws which was showing the wear and tear of seven seasons on the water. 

Below are the jaws before I removed the leather which was held in place by contact cement and brass tacks.  I did find that the tacks allowed for some water intrusion into the douglas fir jaws.  I wonder if small screw would work better, allowing me to put some silicone sealant around the threads to block the moisure.  I'll have to think about that.

The leather, about a square foot of 4 to 5 ounce pearl gray leather, is in the mail from Sailrite and should be here by the end of the week, about the time I should finish sealing and varnishing the jaws.


I would like to say I'll be out on the water next weekend, but the weather forecasts that I am seeing shows that spring will be arriving late and a little on the wet side.  It is cold and rainy here today, cold and grey yesterday.  For warmth I will look to the south where Dawn and her paddling friend Nancy are paddling the coast of Georgia.  Dawn has an ipad with her and is posting daily as they go.  You can follow their journey here.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Instead of Silicone: