Wednesday, August 11, 2021

working slowly, comfortably

Work on SPARTINA is going slowly, intentionally so.  My typically routine is to haul the boat and intensively work on it and get it back in the water.  But it is August, and very hot.  Why rush in this heat?  Why rush to get SPARTINA back in the water?  So I can sail in the heat?  I am taking my time.  Some epoxy work today, the heat being perfect to kick it off quickly.  I also picked up some hardware, #10 x 1 1/4 in stainless sheet metal screws for the new deck blocks.


Above are new and old dyneema shrouds.  Plus one of the new turnbuckles which is one size up from the old turnbuckles.  Things that I can size up will be sized up.  A little bigger, a little stronger, a little better.  


One thing that will be a little narrower is the new mizzen.  I sanded it down a bit, save for the bottom three feet (where all the stress is).  The mast was not as flexible as I would have liked.  It should bend a little in the gusts to spill the wind.  So I went at it with 80 grit sandpaper.  It is now narrower and a little lighter.  I will give it a good test on the fall sail on Chesapeake Bay.  If I am not satisfied with it then I will take it down a bit more for the winter trip down south.  (Just mentioning the winter trip makes me think of the cool, comfortable temperatures down south in March.  I can't wait.)

2 comments:

Amos said...

I like those shrouds. Dynema is amazing stuff.

Clark said...

Looks great, love the color of the Dyneema