Thursday, February 6, 2020

better than working for a living


Just above and slightly to the right of center in the photo above, white shirt, dark tie.  That's me.  I am a newspaper photographer.  Have been for nearly four decades.  And I will be for about 24 more hours.


I received this email yesterday.  VSIP stands for Voluntary Separation Incentive Program.  All I can say is "thank you."  I am grateful for 40 years of doing something that is better than working for a living.  


I get to hang around and take pictures.  What is not to like?  From kayaks to aircraft carriers, fixed wing aircraft, helicopters, blimps, amphibious landing craft, hover craft, submarines, tug boats, trains, laboratories, upscale kitchens, dimly lit alleys, operating rooms, court rooms, farms, islands, deserts, swamps, stadiums and state houses - those places have all been my corporate-designated workspace for well-over half my life.  Hurricanes and nor'easters, tornados, floods, fires, earthquakes, snow storms and ice storms - times that people should take shelter are the very times I go to work.


I almost always deal with absolute strangers, usually spending a routine day with them.  Or maybe it is the best day of their lives.  At times it can be the worst day of their lives.  Boundless joy, unbearable pain, incredible courage, I have witnessed it all.  It is an honor to be the one to tell their stories.


While doing my job I have been yelled at, cursed, physically attacked, threatened with arrest and charged with contempt.


While doing my job I have been thanked, sometimes with a handshake or a hug, a phone call or email.  And, on occasion, I have been thanked with a gentle kiss on the cheek.


I am honest enough with myself to know that I am a good photographer, not a great photographer.  There are better photographers out there, some of them are my friends and colleagues.  But I will tell you that nobody - nobody - enjoyed their job more than I did.  Like I said, it is (was) better than working for a living. 

20 comments:

JimB said...

Congratulations Steve! With all your extra time I am looking forward to far more food reports if not a book. Maybe a sailors guide to eating around the Chesapeake. Seriously though, Good Job!

Steve said...

Thank you, Jim. I appreciate it. And now with more free time maybe we'll even get to meet in person. Soon, I hope.
steve

JimB said...

I look forward to it.

EyeInHand said...

It's been a great run, and we're all the better for it. Not sure if you will, but I'll miss following your trips into the eyes of storms, both natural and manmade. More photos from the trips you choose should be good consolation. Make the best of it. Congrats!

Steve said...

Thanks, Barry!

Paul Mullings said...

Enjoy your obviously well earned retirement Steve

Steve said...

Thank you, Paul.

Rich D said...

Congratulations on a great career that you obviously loved, Steve! That in itself is an amazing accomplishment! I have followed you for several years, met you on the water once, and I hope that you can continue to capture the joys of small craft sailing on a more regular basis. Small Craft Advisor is looking for authors! :-) Sincerely, Rich

Steve said...

Thanks, Rich. I do hope to continue taking photos and writing a few words.

MaryLou said...

Wow! Congratulations Steve! I know you've been looking forward to this. Wishing you all the best. I will miss your professional photos - you have a great journalistic eye but I'm sure there will be more photos and writing to come. Look forward to hearing your plans. And again congrats! I know you are going to enjoy retirement.

Curt said...

Congratulations Steve. Its all your call now. And I'm quite sure you will make the best of this time. Looking forward to crossing your wake and sharing a new adventure or two.

Clark said...

Bravo Zulu Steve, can't wait to see what you and SPARTINA get into next. We'll be up there soon to check on y'all. Huzzah to you and your family! Skipper and Clark

Conchscooter said...

Congratulations are decidedly in order, not simply for the work but as Webb so eloquently put it, for having the great good fortune to live at a time when your undoubted talents could be put to excellent use as an eye on the world for the rest of us.
I am not at all sure what constitutes great versus good in the world of photography but I would challenge anyone you rate as great to outdo you in your fields, no longer the news but very much expressing the beauty and joy of sailing in your particular style and place. To lose that would be a public loss indeed.

Steve said...

Clark, thanks very much. More free time to get on the water. Give me a shout next time you are up in the area. steve

Steve said...

Michael, thank you very much. That is very touching of you to say, very much appreciated. I am so happy to hear you are doing well. Look forward to saying hello in person next time I am in the keys. steve

Lorenzo said...

Dear Steve, I wish to congratulate you on your career achievements, and look forward to reading about the sailing adventures that will result from all that free time of yours!
I also look forward to you hopefully visiting this year,
kind regards

steve said...

Sorry Steve, only just catching up with a backlog of posts - congratulations - so well deserved. Take care, enjoy more time for sailing. Your photographs, blogs and journeys have been inspirational.

Take care now.
Steve

Steve said...

Thanks, Steve and Lorenzo. Steve, I believe I watched you make the transition a year or two ago. I may be in touch looking for some advice.

Steve

Buck on Alert said...

Congrats on "paying yer dues" over four decades. Looking forward to that diary of the voyage with all them snack bars.

I have a good friend of mine, Cramer Gallimore, who was a photographer for our local Fayetteville Observerb before the downsizing began due to online advertising cut into publishing profits. He got to liking aerial photography, working for the paper, so he continued it after he was cut loose.

I keep your Blog Link handy to share with small boat sailors like us to show them how easy it is to travel the coastal waters of NC that you have experienced.

All the best, Steve.

Steve said...

Thanks, Buck. Looking forward to sailing NC this spring. steve