Friday, July 17, 2020

dusk and dawn


With a forecast of steady winds and relatively (relatively for July, that is) cool temperatures made for excellent dust and dawn sails.  Last night I cast off about 6:00, enjoying slightly unusual ESE winds for a couple of hours.


Back out on the river this morning before the sun was up.  A crew member on a tug, silhouetted by the rising sun, waved as the tug headed down river.  That is unusual.  I seldom get noticed by working vessels.  I understand that, I'm out relaxing in their work space.  I'm reminded of the old saying by mariners: "He that would go to sea for pleasure would go to hell for a pastime."


I sail for the joy and peace I find on the water.  I do not go far, just tacking back and forth with the breeze.  There are waves and greeting from people along the shore, walkers and joggers, people waiting to get on the tour boats, workers walking to the ferries on their way to or from work.  If, during these difficult days, they look out on the river and see a scene that causes them to smile, then I am glad for that.


No comments: