Friday, January 23, 2009

Heading north on Core Sound


That's Bruce, my friend of over three decades, at the tiller of Spartina, my home built John Welsford-designed Pathfinder yawl.  We were on a six day sailing trip in North Carolina in the Fall of 2007.  I shot this photo sitting back on the transom leaning backwards right next to the mizzen mast.  We covered about 100 miles in six days of sailing.  Just a great trip.  I admire Bruce for being adventurous enough to give it a try.  He had never really done any sailing before, let alone spending days and nights on boat a 17 foot 4 in open cockpit boat.  We had lots of wind, no wind, nice breezes, sunshine, thunderstorms and bright blue skies.  Chuck from Duckworks was nice enough to publish an on-line story about the trip.  You can read the story here.

The only fly in the ointment, so to speak, for our trip were the mosquitos.  I think we have figured out how to deal with them.  We'll be doing a trip this Spring in North Carolina.  Defeating the mosquitos will greatly add to our enjoyment.  That's why I'm calling the trip The Skeeter Beater 126.

No comments: