Sunday, June 17, 2012

the last stand, the blue lizard, the dark night


I picked up a book on the "last chance" stand at Barnes and Noble, Nathaniel Philbrick's "The Last Stand" about Custer, Sitting Bull and the battle at Little Bighorn.  Not bad for under $7.00.  A thick book, I won't come close to finishing on my trip.  I do think it will be an interesting read.  I've enjoyed Philbrick's earlier books, and it has been a while since I've read any history from that time period.


At the suggestion of a friend who routinely visits a dermatologist (he spent his youth surfing the beaches of Hatteras Island and now needs to get his skin checked regularly), I bought a bottle of Blue Lizard sunscreen.  My friend's dermatologist had said it would have to be ordered online, but I was happy to find it on the shelves at my local grocery store.


The weather forecast continues to look favorable for next week.  I see that not only will I have the longest day of the year, June 20, I will also have some dark nights.  With the new moon I hope to have a wonder view of the stars.


I had meant to write a little more in today's post, but I don't have the time.  Lots of packing, shopping and gear checking to do.  I hope to be on the water tomorrow by 10 or 11 a.m.

steve

1 comment:

steve said...

good luck steve
have a safe trip

steve
arwens meanderings