Monday, March 11, 2019

long time, spring time, right time


It has been too long since I sailed the Elizabeth River in Norfolk.  Before Christmas was probably the last time, an outing with the daughters in town.  Since then I've been sailing the Pasquotank River in Elizabeth City, the gently curving river that runs from northwest to south east that makes for wonderful winter sailing on calm water.  


After three weekends of bad weather spring arrives yesterday.  Too gusty to sail then I made it a point of getting out today.  It was almost perfect.  Steady winds in the morning that fell off by noon so I dropped anchor, had lunch and read the paper.  The wind filling back in again for an early afternoon sail.  The three-masted barque Statsraad Lehmkuhl, used as a training vessel for the Norwegian Navy, was on the waterfront.  She is here every year or two and I've posted photographs of her here and here and here.  I apparently can't stop myself from photographing the beautiful ship.


And because of the time change, SPARTINA'S ships clock, really a watch, is correct once again.  I always leave the watch on daylight savings time so for the past few months it has been an hour ahead.  Glad time finally caught up with us.

2 comments:

Tom said...

Love the ship's clock! Over here, its still sanding time....

Steve said...

Sanding here today, epoxy tomorrow, varnish the day after. steve