Tuesday, April 26, 2022

uphauls and downhauls / updated

I received a question from Kent:  Someone was asking about rudder uphauls and downhauls on John Welsford's fb page. Do you have them on SPARTINA?


The answer is yes.  The uphaul and downhaul are the same line, you can see it above with the uphaul going to the back of the rudder blade just behind the rudder stock and the stopper knot of the downhaul on the forward edge of the blade.  The uphaul is fastened to the small line cleat on the port side of the tiller, the downhaul goes in an auto-release cam cleat on the top of the tiller (available from Duckworks).
Hope this helps.  Steve


 P.S.  A question from Michael made me realize that the term "downhaul" is a misnomer on this my boat, I cannot use the downhaul to lower the rudder.   I do that manually, reaching over the transom and pushing the rudder into place.  I then put the "downhaul" into the auto-release cam cleat which holds the rudder in place.

1 comment:

Clark said...

Very helpful Steve, and simple. Thank you.