Saturday, July 15, 2023

tracking url, plans



The tracking url is here, or copy and paste the link below.  It should go live Wednesday but because of the drive and weather it might be later in the week.  

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/SW3L


As of forecasts today, Monday and Tuesday look good for the drive up to Maine.  Wednesday looks good for rigging and launching at Atlantic Boat Company in Brooklin, marked with an X in the map below.  


I have spent a lot of time looking at maps and charts of Penobscot Bay.  Think there are enough places to explore.  My thinking is I'll launch and head to the east side of Mt. Desert Island (1) and Sommes Sound witch runs north/sound in the middle of Mt. Desert Island.  If timing works out I may cross paths with friends who are launching a classic sailboat, which would be nice.  To be prepared I have packed appropriate supplies, below.  From there I would like to go to the west of of Mt. Desert Island (2), then use Eggemoggin Reach (3) to what I've seen marked as West Penobscot Bay.  Then Islesboro (5), and Rockport (6) where I have read there is a nice town dock with laundry and showers available.

East from there to Vinalhaven and North Haven Islands (7), Isle au Haut (8), Deer Isle (9) and finally Swans Island (10) before heading back to Brooklin.   

Those numbered locations are not single night destinations.  There are just places to explore and I might spend four or five days in one area or at one group of islands. 

I don't know if I will follow that path, it all depends on winds and weather.  And I'm wondering about distances vs. exploring.  On my Chesapeake Bay and Pamlico Sound cruises I sail anywhere from 20 to 35 or more miles a day.  A lot of the distances between the places I have marked up are, point to point, in the 10 to 15 mile range.  Yet there are a lot of small islands with miles and miles of shoreline to see.  It's all new sailing to me, so I'll just have to find out what it is like.






 

3 comments:

Clark said...

Can't wait to hear your report!

Tom said...

You picked the best stretch of the Maine Coast, enjoy! Tides, ledges, and fog are the big differentiators between the Chessie and Maine. Will make a 10 mile day feel like 25.
Besides the exploring, of course! Check out Marshall''s Island, a magical place where you can walk barefoot thru the forest on moss carpeted paths... Sand Cove, the ledges offshore protect you from all but SE gale (run behind Swans Island for those). Wishing you Fair winds and following seas!

David Swanson said...

Be safe. Fair Winds,