Sunday, November 27, 2016

the future's so bright

The future's so bright
I gotta wear shades

I will never forget Capt Steven Briggs of the tugantine Norfolk Rebel singing those Timbuk3 lines out across the water as I sailed past with Barry on board wearing his bright (and bright is an understatement) orange Helly Hansen foul weather gear.  They are a brilliant (or vivid, bold, strong - just pick your favorite synonym) orange as if they had been plugged in and charging all night long.  



I saw Barry this past fall at the Mid-Atlantic Small Craft Festival wearing, of course, his bright orange jacket (Barry getting a really really good deal on both pants and jacket).  I reminded him of the captain's comment, Barry smiled and said "Hey, I wanna be found."  

Well I wanna be found too, particularly if somebody like the Coast Guard is looking for me, so I ordered a pair of Helly Hansen Newport Bib pants today from Annapolis Performance Sailing today.  A good deal - 20% off and free shipping (still not as good as Barry's deal but I'll take it).  The jacket will have to wait, but they are on the list for someday.

4 comments:

doryman said...

I see they have coats and trousers marked down from 1000 dollars. Nice of them to be so generous.

Steve said...

Those are a little bit = just a tiny, tiny bit = out of my range......

EyeInHand said...

Ha! Young Capt Briggs got a big kick out of my gettup, for sure. But I don't think he lost sight of me all day. Despite all the jokes and ribbing I get when wearing it, I couldn't be happier.

Doryman, I think that decimal point is in the wrong place, which is often the first sign that I'M in the wrong place. I got mine not from a sailing gear store, but one that caters to construction workers and deck hands, whose budgets are more like mine.

EyeInHand said...

Also, that was the second time Capt. Steven laughed out loud and used that line on me in that very same jacket. The first time I was on the deck of a schooner in the rain in Baltimore Harbor, passing him on the Rebel. He came out of the deck house to yell at me across the water. It's good to know when you've made a lasting impression. ;-)