Monday, August 21, 2017

eclipsed by clouds


Out on the river early afternoon to watch the eclipse.  Nice breeze and a few other boats out for the same reason.  My idea was to shoot a time lapse of the eclipse, a frame every two seconds from a camera mounted on the center board trunk.  I knew that the camera would not show the moon crossing in front of the sun.  We were expecting about 89% coverage here and that would allow enough light to make the sun still look like the sun.  My hope was to capture the changing quality of light.  I thought it might be fun and the mainsail moving back and forth would add to the images as I tacked back and forth on Craford Bay.


Unfortunately a couple of small, dark grey clouds had other plans, sliding in front of the sun just a few minutes before peak coverage, 2:47 local time.  The clouds stayed there long enough to obscure what I was trying to do.  Oh well.  But as I said, there was a nice breeze and it was fun to watch the eclipse for well over an hour through my Amazon glasses - remember, always practice safe viewing.  A nice day on the water.


No comments: