Tuesday, February 22, 2022

tracking map, forecast


click the above or copy and paste from this...

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/DD7J


Doing final packing and gear check today.  Below you see the check list which I borrowed years ago from the Everglades Challenge.  The equipment list is made for expedition racing but suits, in my opinion, cruising very well.  Each different color or type of mark, from a check mark to an "ok" represents a different cruise.  Wonder how many more sails I will get out of this before I have to reprint.


I have checked the forecast and there is in fact guaranteed to be 100% chance of weather.  The two days that matter are tomorrow and Thursday.  Maybe some light rain for the first part of the drive down south but then no rain in the Carolinas tomorrow afternoon and Thursday.  I just don't like to rig in the rain.  After Thursday I'll take whatever comes.  


The goal is to sail from Charleston, SC to Florida.  Maybe Jacksonville or, should I make good time, Palatka.  What I need to end the trip is a marina that accepts transients, a nearby boat ramp and a nearby Amtrak station.  All three can be found in both Jacksonville and Palatka.

At top is a screen shot of last year's winter cruise, which ended early when I broke the mizzen mast in a hard jibe on Blackbeard Creek near Valona, Georgia.  Let's see if we do better this year.https://maps.findmespot.com/s/DD7J