Sunday, March 13, 2022

the long road home, apologies


forgive me pretty baby but 
I always take the long road home...
       
                                                  - Tom Waits



The train schedule, a key part of my plan to get back to Charleston to retrieve my jeep and trailer, was not kind to me.  When I checked the schedule a few months ago it was ideal:  Get on the train in Palatka about 3 p.m., arrive in Charleston about 9 p.m.  Once in Palatka I went to book my reservation only to find the schedule had been changed:  Get on the train in Palatka at 9 p.m., arrive Savannah at midnight, wait in the Savannah train station until 6 a.m., then catch another train and arrive Charleston at 9 a.m.  Had I done that I suspect I would have been worthless the next day.  I mean six hours in the middle of the night in a train station, I could not see getting any good sleep there.


One way car rentals were not available.  On a whim I check Lyft, $987.00.  There were flights out of Jacksonville to Charleston by way of a layover in Miami.  The only other option was a greyhound bus.  Twelve hours, Palatka to Jacksonville to Savannah, Columbia and Charleston with a bunch of small towns and truck stops mixed in.  At least it was during the day, basically 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.  Not a great option but the best of the bad ones.


 And then the drive down to Palatka to retrieve SPARTINA, the drive back to Charleston where I had dinner with good fried Pete, then a good nights sleep at the hotel, and then, finally the drive back home.  

A lot of time on the road, but you know, it was worth it to make that sail.

------------------------------

My apologies to Enrico, David, Bob and Kent.  They were kind enough to leave comments on the blog.  I did not see them until just now and have added them to the appropriate posts.  In the thick of sailing I simply missed them.  I do always appreciate hearing from other sailors.

No comments: