Thursday, April 27, 2023

rough at the dock, SPOT problems



Remind me not to tie up behind the Schooner Virginia next time they are testing out the diesels by throwing the schooner into gear.  Then again, maybe all that high pressure water cleaned the bottom.

---------------------------------------------------


Prior to the winter trip I decided up update my SPOT Gen3 tracking device.  For some reason it would not accept the update.  I called their technical department and they talked me through downloading the logs of my attempted updates and had me email the logs to them.  About a week later, while I was sailing south on the ICW the tech adviser called to tell me that the Gen3 had a defect that could not be fixed.  To solve the problem they offered to sell me a new Gen4 device for about $50.  Sounded like a good deal.

The Gen4 was waiting for me when I returned home.  Opening the box it appeared that the device was not new, there was a scuff mark on the cover and the black screws on the battery plates had silver scrapes from someone using a screwdriver to open the plate.  Hmmm.  Maybe they sent me a refurbished device.  As long as it worked, what do I care?

Well I found out testing the last three days that it does not work.  I sailed three days in a row with the device mounted on the centerboard trunk where I have long kept my SPOT devices.  The device recorded some data points but certainly not all.  Yesterday I did about a two hour sail and above is the track the device recorded.  It shows a few marks, each five minutes apart, and then there is an hour and a half gap that was not recorded.

I called SPOT last night and they said clearly there is a problem with the device.  Interestingly when I described it as a refurbished device they said they do not sell refurbished equipment.  Again, Hmmm.

After I described the appearance of the Gen4, the scuff mark and the scratched screws, they said they would send me a new (really new) device in time to test it out for the spring sail.   Hopefully it will arrive in a few days and I can give it a test run.


 

No comments: