Friday, May 24, 2024

spring 2024 tracks


The spring sail is complete.  It was a good trip, and a nostalgic trip too.  The nostalgia comes for two reasons.  One, The Pilgrim and I and our two daughters vacationed 14 years in a row on Ocracoke Island.  I enjoyed walking the roads and paths through the village, memories of our visits coming to my mind.  And two, a lot of my early cruises, looking back 16 years ago, were on Pamlico Sound.  On this trip I sailed many places that I first visited years ago on week-long trips - the Pamlico River, Mouse Harbor, Caffee Bay, Oriental, Beaufort, Core Sound.  Memories came flooding back from those early cruises. 


A highlight was visiting Cape Lookout Bight, a sandy spit that juts out into the ocean.  It's a beautiful place surrounded by sand dunes.  White sand, clear water.  What more could I want?


I also sailed some favorite canals, the Thorofare Canal (right center) and the Old Canal at left.  They are beautiful places and I'm glad the wind favored me for a nice sail.


And yes, Ocracoke.  I intended to sail across Pamlico Sound to the little island and spend a day there.  Weather had other plans, I was trapped there for two days of 30+ mph winds.  It is not a bad place to be trapped.  All those lines in the harbor are my tracks as I spent an evening tacking back and forth in a nice breeze.  On my gps the tracks are red.  Sailing back and forth I tried to fill Silver Lake with red tracks, something I call painting the harbor red.

I hope to start the daily tracks in a couple of days.

No comments: