Wednesday, September 8, 2021

additions to the menu



On a visit to REI I came across two freeze-dried dinners that I had not seen before.  Backpacker's Pantry Mushroom Stroganoff and Alpineaire Kung Pao Grilled Chicken.  Both sound excellent to me.


Just yesterday I had packed the food sacks, two 20 liter Sea to Summit dry bags, with 15 freeze-dried meals in each.  I'll go back in and pull out a couple of dinners - there is some repetition in there - and add the new meals.  When I load up for the fall trip I will have to empty each stuff sack, putting one sack each in the two thwart storage holds, and refill the bags in the hold (the full bags will not fit through the port).  Each evening I can open the port, grab the top of s dry bag, open it and pull out that evening's dinner selection.  Two reasons for the dry bags:  1) keep the meals dry, moisture always finds its way into the hold and 2) all the meals in the bags make the holds much more organized.  There is some other gear in there that I need to access and I don't want to have to dig through a bunch of individual items to find the whatever I need.

 

The Kung Pao dinner reminded me of my all time favorite fortune cookie which came with a Kung Pao dinner a few years ago.  

A little over two weeks until I begin the fall sail.  Lots of little jobs to do, still plenty of time to get ready.

No comments: