Saturday, March 17, 2018

winter sailing


A crisp 37 degrees when I got to the ramp this morning.  No trouble finding a parking spot.  (Wonder why???)  Had SPARTINA rigged and motoring up the southern branch of the Elizabeth River just after 9:00 with a nice SW breeze.


Still experimenting with the set of the main.  Slacked the outhaul at Stuart's suggestion to put more belly in the mail.  You can see the curve of the sail above.  Gone are the creases that used to run along the foot of the sail.  I felt like there was improved performance.  I had to adjust the lazy jacks so they didn't pinch in along the foot and that seemed to work out well.  There are still some wrinkles at the top of the sail but after I came in I adjusted the lines that tie the sail to the gaff and think that will smooth things out.


Went from clear skies to a few clouds then to very cloudy.  Temperature peaked at a balmy 51 just as I came into the dock in the afternoon.  Left SPARTINA on the river for another sail tomorrow.   Sitting here at the kitchen window I look outside and see bright sunshine.  Wish I had stayed out a bit longer.


No comments: