Wednesday, March 21, 2018

another storm, camping, the debate


We are getting our fourth nor'easter in about three weeks.  There could be a fifth but latest forecast makes me think not.  It has been a long, cold, wet and windy winter.  Much worse to the north, no doubt, but still not great weather for getting out on the water.  Spring began officially yesterday, maybe it will show up in fact soon.  If the fifth nor'easter bypasses us I may try to sneak out on the Pasquotank River this weekend for a chilly sail.

----------------------------------------------------------------


During my Sunday sail with Bobbly we talked a lot about small boat cruising.  I pointed out my belief that small boat sailing is very similar to backpacking.  Much of the gear on SPARTINA is designed for backpacking, including my jet boil, above, the bivy, the sleeping gear and navigation gear.  And like backpacking, one can be exposed to the elements for 12 to 14 hours at a time.  It's just that with sailing, you don't have to carry all that gear on your back and be on your feet all day long.  I simply prefer to put my feet up, lean back and keep a hand on the tiller.

-----------------------------------------------------------


A recent email from Conway has made me rethink my plans for the spring cruise.  For a couple months now I have planned to visit Tangier Sound.  It was an email from Conway, owner of Potter's Marine on North Creek just off the Pamlico River, that had me reconsidering.  I sailed out of there years ago and remember a nice marina on protected water, a good clean spot to rig SPARTINA and an excellent ramp.  I used it only for the one trip, then forgot about it because I met Sean at Pate's Boat Yard and have sailed out of there since.  Pate Boat Yard is no more so I was glad to be reminded of Potter's Marine.


From Potter's you can sail the short distance south to the Pamlico River.  At that point, turn west towards Washington, head east and south to Goose Creek on the way to Beaufort, or just plain east towards Ocracoke.  That all sounds good to me.


But that would mean skipping Tangier Sound, below.  Fine sailing, good fishing and nice little islands like Tangier and Smith Islands.


And great crab cakes like those at Ruke's in Ewell on Smith Island.  I don't know, which way should I go???  Definitely doing the upper Chesapeake Bay in fall.  Got to figure out spring.






4 comments:

Tholepin said...

Cruise to Tangier Island, rumor has it the Bay is reclaiming some sand in that area.

Steve said...

Yes, the place is definitely disappearing. Hopefully they'll be around a while...

steve said...

how do you find the jet boil stove steve - do you use it in the tent as well? I have been thinking of investing in one

Steve said...

Outstanding piece of gear. Compact, efficient. There are a couple different versions. If all you are doing is boiling water there are the original vertical jet boil that can heat water in a minute or so. Mine is the stove version (not sure if the exact model is still available) that can boil water but also works with a pan for sautéing and such. The only flaw - possibly overcome by now - is the igniter doesn't last. So I can a bbq lighter with me as backup. Even with that issue, I highly recommend jet boils.

I've been griping about the weather here, but suspect you have had it worse. Hope you and the family are doing ok.

steve