Tuesday, August 28, 2018

fresh water

Yeah, that's me, pulled over by the side of the road in pre-dawn darkness, trying to get the trailer lights back on.  They lasted all of three miles before going dark.  I get them back on, then I'm back on the road.  Or at least until they go out again.  It's before rush hour so not too bad sitting on the highway shoulder.  I get the driver's side lights working and settle for that.  Plus dawn is near.  

Another bridge over a river, smaller road, lighter traffic, open space.  I can breath again.  


Through the swing bridge from Milford Haven to the Piankatank about 9:00, glad to be on the water.  Stunningly beautiful day, more like early fall than the typical hot, humid August.


Rounding a shoal I get a wave from a crabber.  I ask how the catch is this season.  Catching a lot, he says, but that drives the price down.


This is fresh water to SPARTINA, we've never sailed the western shore of the bay.  Old Tidewater Virginia, winding rivers and creeks, farms along the shore.  


Forecast is for 5-10 out of the east and it is exactly right.  A few minutes of 5 mph wind, then a few minutes of 10 mph.  We head north across the Piankatank for Stingray Point.


I shake my head and smile, I can't remember as August day like this.


Easy enough navigation.  I didn't do too much planning.  Just round the point into the broad Rappahannock, a small fleet of fishing boats anchored out off of Deltaville, then head up river.


Mid-afternoon we sail past Parrot Island to the mouth of Locklies Creek, tie up at the docks at Merroir Tasting Room, the spot on the waterfront where you can taste all the oysters you want - and more - from the Rappahannock Oyster Company.


I sit in the shade reading the newspaper.  Barry arrives and says let's go sailing.  I try to pay for my iced tea but the waitress says it's on the house.  I leave a nice tip.


A late afternnon sail on the Rappahannock, catching up with each other as we hadn't crossed paths in a long while.


Then back to the dock for a couple dozen oysters, plump and tasty, washed down by Sculpin IPA.


And smoked cobia and arugula with pita bread.


And the tasting rooms version of salad caprese.  And another dozen oysters.  Talk about good.


Then I cast off to anchor out for the night, Barry grabbing a nice photo from the docks.


A beautiful evening with a moon so bright I wake twice wondering "who turned on the lights?"  I drop down the top of the bivy and drift back to sleep.


Another fine day, this one with lighter winds.  Motor-sailing down the Rappahannock to Stingray Point, finding wind back on the Piankatank.


Back into the ramp and there's Barry waiting for us.  He hops on board with that camera that he seems to always have in his hands.


A nice sail, then lunch at The Hole in the Wall restaurant, I set off in SPARTINA and soon Barry is out in his melonseed.  Wind on the beam for a sail behind the sandbar south of Gwynn's Island.


Perfect.


I grab of few pictures of Barry, he takes some of SPARTINA.  Then he waves goodbye, heading back to the ramp.


And I stay out sailing, tacking up and down Milford Haven, a losing Orioles game on the radio.  Back and forth on the water just enjoying life.  Yeah, I know, simple things for the simple minded.  I'll take it.


A peaceful night anchored behind the sand bar.  


The sun peeks up beneath the morning clouds.  Geese fly over on the way back to the dock reminding me that fall is coming fast.  We haul out and head home.  An excellent weekend on the water.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful boat, beautiful photos. i followed a link from youtube that your friend in the melon seed boat let. If I may impose, did you build her? her slightly shorter sister boat is the Navigator. I recently retired and miss sailing, I had aCape Dory Typhoon for twenty years up until three years ago. Employment issues (an undesired promotion that removed me from any free time during daylight hours) resulted in reluctantly selling her. That is no longer an issue.

Pardon my straightforwardness, but did you build her or buy her. How long did it take you? Do you have a ball park idea of her cost and would you please tell me what it was? I'm antsy to get back on the water and get some serious sailing in before I'm too old to single-hand her.

If you purchased her was it new or used? If you had a yard build her who did the work, would you recommend them?

I used to renovate lofts in Manhattan years ago and I just retired from 28 years as machine and building mechanic at JFK International Airport, so building it won't be a major problem. I've been returning to the Australian web site of the designer regularly. I see from your photos and and postings that you sail on the Chesapeake. Great sailing, my brother (who lived in Norfolk and sailed in those days) tells me. I grew up on N.Y,'s Great South Bay, clamming, and then sailing for twenty years. My grandmother was a sailmaker in City Island, NY in her time. We've always been "water folk" as the saying goes.
Anyway, I hope that you can understand my interest and forgive questions. I don't have a google acct and this won't let me submit this. My Email address is; Reteptnuh@aol.com
Thank you in advance for your time,

Peter Hunt