Wednesday, August 15, 2018

the fake snake

I came down to SPARTINA at the docks Tuesday morning to find an otter relaxing on the dock next to the boat.  How nice, I thought.  Or I thought until I saw the mess it the furry little aquatic mammal made on the foredeck, jib and boom tent.    


Fortunately the otter used SPARTINA only as a playground, not a restroom.  I did not want to chance anything worse so I came up with a simple solution.  I took the line I normally use to wrap the mainsail, a thick red rope with white bands that I found on the beach 30 years ago while trout fishing (I knew it would have a purpose someday), and placed it on the foredeck in the shape of a snake.  Maybe it was luck or maybe it got the otter's attention, but no otter in sight this morning.

Good wind Tuesday morning, light winds this morning.  Work gets in the way of sailing tomorrow.  Friday is a day off with an excellent forecast.  I can't wait.