Friday, April 9, 2021

the long road home

It is raining. The wind is blowing.  The mizzen mast lies in two pieces in SPARTINA'S cockpit, the mizzen sail wrapped around the mizzen boom.  Tied up at the dock in a little marina in what one guy tells me is Nowhere, Georgia,  I walk up towards the office.   There is a covered area outside the office, a couple guys standing there and a woman at a table that seems to be collecting dues.  She looks up at me and says "Where do you need to go?  We'll take you."  


 I'm a little bit confused as to where I am, where I need to be.  The BoatUS captain had mentioned a couple towns along the coast.  At first I say Darien.  "That's easy," she says, "just 15 minutes away."  Then I realize that that is not where I need to go.  "No, that's not it.  I need to get to Jesup.  That's an hour away.  That's too far, but thank you."  I tell her I'll try Lyft or Uber, and thank her again.  And I figure if that does't work I'll ask the marina manager if he knows anybody who'll take me to Jesup for a couple hundred bucks.

I go inside the office, four or five people in there, none wearing masks.  They aren't big on masks in Nowhere, Georgia.  I pay for two nights at the slip.  The guy says "So you'll be gone Monday?"  I'm confused and have to ask him what day it is.  "Saturday."  "Yeah, I'll be gone Monday.  If not I'll pay for another day."  I get out of the office as quickly as I can.

I log into Lyft and Uber, requesting a ride.  The price is $100-plus, that's fine, but neither can find a driver.  I try again, letting the phone search while I go down to the dock, grab my duffel and electronics case, and put up the boom tent that sags sadly with no mizzen to hold up the aft section.

Back up to the shelter.  The manager tells me Lyft and Uber don't work so well there.  Cold, windy, raining.  No drivers with either app.  I see the woman and tell her I can't find a ride.  She tells me no problem, nods to her husband and says "We'll take you."

The woman is Tina, her husband is Barry.  They make room for me in the front seat of their big truck, acting as if there was nothing they would rather be doing than giving me an hour-long ride.  I pull out my wallet and says I am happy to pay for the ride.  "Absolutely not!" I am told.  So I put two $20s on the console, I'll at least pay for gas.  Barry grabs the money and tosses it back to me.

I get on my phone and find a hotel, make a reservation.  Then log on to Amtrak and find a north-bound train, the only one being the next evening.  Tina and Barry make me feel very welcome.  I tell them about my trip.  They tell me about their lives, their kids and the island they just bought.  I didn't know you could buy an island.  

It is an enjoyable trip. Time goes quickly, we talk about all kinds of things and I repeatedly thank them for the ride.  Tina says there is a reason we met, we just don't know what it is.  They only thing they ask is that I help somebody out the way they are helping me out.  I promise them I will.  

At the hotel Tina says they are staying in the parking lot until I come out and tell them I am checked in.  It takes a while, there are a couple of people in front of me.  Every one seems to be giving me a glance, I don't know why.  Maybe it is because I'm the only one wearing a mask.  I get to the desk, check in, walk outside and Tina gives me a hug.  I thank them again for their kindness.

Into the my hotel room I glance to the left and there is a big mirror.  And I realize why everyone was looking at me in the lobby.  I'm still wearing my bright orange drysuit and rubber boots.  Not a lot of people dressed like that in Jesup, Georgia.

The next morning it is a mile walk with the duffel and pelican box to the old brick train station.  I've got nearly seven hours to wait for the train, not a bad place to wait.  I look for restaurants on my map and see one two blocks away.  It is crowded.  I get in line to order some food to-go.  I'm the only one wearing a mask, so I get some looks.  At least I'm not wearing the drysuit, that is tucked in the duffel.  I eat lunch back at the train station, read my book and check the news on my phone.

The train arrives on time.  I had pony'd up the extra money for a sleeper room.  Extravagant for a train ride of just a couple of hours, but I wanted to be by myself.  Get to Charleston on time, Lyft to a hotel.  The next morning Lyft to the storage lot to get the jeep and trailer, then head south to get SPARTINA.

3 comments:

Amos said...

There are a lot of good people out there.

Steve said...

That is absolutely true!

Bill T. said...

"ADVENTURE!" :D