Thursday, July 8, 2021

invited


The nice folks at the Sultana Education Foundation have been kind enough to invite  SPARTINA (bottom right, above) to participate as one of the small vessels at this year's Downrigging Festival in Chestertown, Maryland October 29-31.  This is an all-time favorite waterfront town and a great festival.  Sailing in there will be the perfect way to end the fall cruise.  


The festival is an end-of-season event for the tall ships with at least half a dozen scheduled to participate.  (And they've added a blue grass music performances to the weekend.).  I took part in the festival for a few years and my role was to, yes, just sail.  The tall ships cast off a couple of times a day for passenger cruises and I would be out of the river tacking back and forth and generally having a great time.  I love sailing with tall ships.  Scheduling got the better of me and I had to drop out.  Now we are back.

I say "invited" but I sent a few emails, made an in-person appeal and, well, basically begged to take part in this year's event.  So you can say I was invited, but maybe you can also say that they surrendered.  What's the difference?


I get the feeling the fall sail will be here sooner than I expect.  I can't wait.

 

5 comments:

Bill said...

First time I met you in person and had the good fortune of not only going for a little sail on Spartina but also actually being handed the tiller was at the Downrigging Festival ... something like ... 10 years ago??? I can't even really remember, but it's been a minute for sure.

I do remember it was chilly!

Maybe I need to get back up there again, because that was the first and last time I went up there for it.

Steve said...

Bill, I do remember that day and that say. Chilly, yes, but enjoyable. They have expanded the festival with blue grass music. I think it will be fun. Steve

David Swanson said...

Congratulations! We may try to stop by and see you/her there,

Steve said...

That would be excellent! Steve

Tom said...

Thanks for the headsup, Steve. Am planning to head up there for the festival, with my little old Daysailer in tow. My son will come down from Philly and will be a nice father/son weekend to close out the season. Hope to see you and Spartina!