Monday, July 5, 2021

ageless


 Twice in two days I was asked about SPARTINA'S age.  A woman who saw me out sailing biked over to the docks as I came in to ask about the boat.  She had lots of questions, the last being "how old is it?".  I told her she was about 14 years old.  "That surprises me," she replied. And of course I asked why that would surprise her.  She said SPARTINA looked brand new.  

The next day a Dutch sailor on a steel-hulled sailboat leaned out as I sailed by to asked "Is that a really old boat?".  I took "really old" to mean decades old, so told him it was not.  I guess John Welsford's lapstrake hull plus the gaff-rigged yawl sail plan does give the Pathfinder the appearance of being from a different era.

SPARTINA feels neither old nor young to me, certainly not "new" and hopefully not too old.

----------------------------------

The unseasonably cool (relatively speaking) weather has persisted.  No complaints here.  Winds out of the north and west, low humidity and comfortable temperatures.  It wuill not last but will enjoy it as long as I can.  We should get some rain from Elsa later this week.  I suspect the typical summer weather will arrive after that.

No comments: