Sunday, January 16, 2022

two more sounds


Inside the front cover of my logbook from last winter's sail is a list of sounds between Charleston and Jacksonville.  I had found fourteen sounds marked on various charts and I crossed them off as I made my way south.  (I did sail through Sapelo Sound but did not get a chance to cross it off as I was busy with a broken mizzen, a tow to a marina, trying to get to a train station, etc, etc....).


Researching this winter's trip last night I found two additional sounds that I need to add to the list.  Green Island Sound, which I sailed through but did not realize it at the time, is immediately west of Ossabow Sound.  In fact I sailed down Green Island Sound and then used the cut known as Hell Gate - though it was calm and peaceful at the time - to get to the Ogeechee River, my track being to the west of what is marked as Ossabow Sound.  (I crossed the sounds off the list even if I sailed inside of them.)


The second "new" sound is Manhead Sound where the Frederica River meets the Mackay River just above St. Simons Sound.  I did not get that far south last year.

When planning last year's trip I initially made of a list of 11 sounds based on Henry Plummer's hand-drawn chart from THE BOY, ME AND THE CAT, then found three more sounds looking at the nautical charts.  Now I'll have to add two more to that list, giving me a total of 16 sounds between Charleston and Jacksonville.  


I'll use that same logbook on this upcoming trip, adding the two new sounds to the list and, hopefully,  cross each one off as I head south.



 

2 comments:

David Swanson said...

That's a great book, although I have a different edition (and publisher I think) than you.

When you were planning your previous trip, you mentioned a couple Wayfarer books that you also read. I have had 0 luck finding those. Any suggestions?

Steve said...

I see them both listed on Amazon as used books.

https://www.amazon.com/Biggest-Boat-Could-Afford-Sailing/dp/1574091921/ref=sr_1_1?crid=R93RBVZU6OTA&keywords=the+biggest+boat+I+could+afford&qid=1642431749&sprefix=the+biggest+boat+i+could+afford%2Caps%2C53&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Sailing-Edge-Fear-Frank-Dye/dp/1551092832/ref=sr_1_1?crid=O87GRLI6R1RL&keywords=sailing+to+the+edge+of+fear&qid=1642431848&sprefix=sailing+to+the+edge+of+fear%2Caps%2C59&sr=8-1

Steve