Saturday, January 1, 2022

Chestertown - gentle on my mind

By the rivers of my memories
Ever smilin' ever gentle on my mind


Chestertown, a favorite town on a favorite river.  Years ago I was invited to the Downrigging Festival after a chance meeting between SPARTINA and the tall ship SULTANA on the Chester River.  We attended for a few years, always a great time but weather, work and life got in the way.  I was very glad to be invited back this year.  Tall ships, bluegrass music, a one day nor'easter, great sailing, blue skies, friends both new and old, and, yes, oysters.  And it all started with a buck-fifty bus ride back to Cambridge to get my jeep and trailer.


Lots and lots of sailing.


And friends that I have crossed paths with before.


My waterfront room at the marina.


Oysters at Cannon 98.


Some bluegrass music.


And more oysters at the Retriever Bar.


The view from my room at dawn.


Somehow I ended up on the bow
of the rubber boat as the VIRGINIA
kedged out the 500 pound anchor
for a one-day nor'easter.


The KALMAR NYCKEL heels
in the 40 mph gusts.


Oh yeah, more oysters at
the bluegrass festival.


Tall ships all around, left to right,
PRIDE OF BALTIMORE II, KALMAR NYCKEL
and the VIRGINIA.


A morning sail past the 
KALMAR NYCKEL.


A daysail with PRIDE OF BALTIMORE II
and the LYNX.


Nothing better than sailing
alongside tall ships.


Friends on board for an afternoon sail.


The waterfront at night.


Blue skies in the morning.


A nice photo from Stephanie,
SPARTINA and PRIDE OF BALTIMORE II.


Not too bad for a small boat with mast
that are obviously too short.


Whatever happened to my great plan to

build a boat and get away from everyone....

No comments: