Thursday, January 6, 2022

winter maintenance


Beautiful cool morning with a light overcast as I drove down to the ramp, left my jeep and trailer there and caught a LYFT to the Norfolk waterfront.  It is time to bring SPARTINA home for winter maintenance.  There has been a lot of sailing this year, the winter cruise in South Carolina/Georgia, three weeks on the water for the spring cruise in North Carolina and then five weeks on the water for the fall sail on Chesapeake Bay.  Plus a lot of day sailing.  2021 was a rough year, but at least a good year for sailing.


I passed by the FANTASY (which I had earlier mistakenly called the LONDON) on the way to the ramp.  It seems that the high winds and high tides from the winter storm carried her into shallower water.  I am told the owner is aware of this.


Once back at home I washed down SPARTINA and now fans are circulating air through her holds.  I made my first efforts at maintenance by removing the chain plates that have been in place since she was launched.  They seemed to be in good shape once removed but for very little money I will put brand new ones in place.


 Yard time, as the Navy calls it, will be about three or four weeks.  I may get our for a test sail in early February, I may not.  In any case I want her in good shape to head south in late February.

3 comments:

Canoe Sailor said...

Where do you plan to take her in late February?

Steve said...

I'm going to try the Charleston to Jacksonville trip again, though I may launch a little more up the coast in Georgetown, S.C. Steve

Canoe Sailor said...

That sounds like a great trip!