Tuesday, August 30, 2022

sail washing day, illegible


Sailing washing day here.  Spent the morning packing all the basic gear - life vests, throw cushions, anchors, etc - back on SPARTINA. All afternoon scrubbing the sails and I've got to say very happy with the results.


It was a bit of the spectacle in the neighborhood as I rigged the boat and partially raised the sails to dry them.  I also wanted to do a rigging check.  I want to make a couple small adjustments and then might take SPARTINA down to Elizabeth City for a test sail on the beautiful Pasquotank River later this week.


Put on two new fishing rod holders, one for a trolling line and one for a spinning rod.   It will be striper season during the fall sail.  Two years ago I had excellent luck with the stripers, last year not so much.


Poking around under the foredeck I saw the silver dollar from 1926, the year that Dad was born, has been pounded to the point that it is no longer legible.  A lot of miles on the highway with the short stubby mast that supports the main and mizzen masts while trailering, a lot of miles on the water too.  That coin has seen more use than I had ever expected.





 

1 comment:

Clark said...

She's looking great, and nice patina on the coin.