Saturday, December 23, 2023

a thirty-foot paint job


Here are some before and after photographs of SPARTINA's new thirty-foot paint job (i.e. stand thirty feet away and she looks pretty good).  The winter sunset came quicker than I expected so there is still some trim work left to do.  New paint right now on the hull and the deck.  Hopefully in the next week or ten days I'll get the brightwork and cockpit done.  And then the bottom paint.


My friend Stephanie at the sail loft tells me the new jib is finished.  The last jib that the late-great Stuart Hopkins made for me had 5.0 oz cloth and that lasted three years.  The new jib is made out of 6.4 material and should hold up a bit longer.


Still lots of work to do to be ready for the winter cruise down south.














 

4 comments:

Shawn Stanley said...

Oh, Steve...we are always our own worst critics. I feel your pain on 'what is good enough?' She looks great.. Merry Christmas!

Rich D. said...

30 feet or 300 feet does not matter. SPARTINA is a lovely vessel and she brings happiness to me as I read your blog. Happy New Year Steve and family!

Clark said...

...and SPARTINA appreciates every minute of attention. I bet you'll like the little bit of extra weight on the jib, I'm reading that a heavier weight will hold shape better and minimize flutter. We'll be trying a heavier weight on our new/old Bahamas dinghy. Happy New Year, Clark and Skipper

Steve said...

Thanks, guys. SPARTINA is coming along. Still more work today. Hull came out looking better than I expected, so maybe it is a 25-foot paint job.